BWL FAQ

Helpful information, tutorials, and FAQ's

BWL FAQ

Postby The Wildcat » 04 Sat Apr, 2009 8:52 am

Welcome to the one and only BWL FAQ. If you have any further questions, visit the forums.

Stories and/or Images FAQ:
Q: Can I be in one of your stories? Pleeeeeaaaaassssseee!!!
A: Believe it or not, this question has been asked before. In fact, a few years ago this question was asked a lot. The answer has always been... maybe. It depends on whether we have a story in which you would fit, and how active you are in the community.

Q: Why won't you finish that one story? I hate to see unfinished stories, so please continue it!
A: I hate to see unfinished stories too. However, most incomplete stories were left unfinished because the plot had strayed too far from the author's intentions.

If a story's dead, then it's dead. Feel free to finish them yourself. I might do some stories myself sometime. But given the preponderance of new material, I will focus mainly on my current projects.

Q: I have this great idea for a story / How about this story about...
A: It may be hard to believe, but people do send us ideas for stories. While we appreciate the help, we would prefer it if you made the story yourself. This is a community driven website. We need the members and visitors to make content and submit it or else we have no real activity.

Q: Here, have my 50 paged story in BMP format! Here, have my 100 paged story in .xyz format!
A: Thanks, but no thanks! This is one of the biggest annoyances we have. BMP format is huge and not intended for the web. Equally, there are dozens of other graphic formats that are not intended for the web or not common enough for all browsers to support them.

Of those file types that are web friendly, we prefer .jpg, .gif, and .png. Specifically, we ask for .jpg. Convert the story to these formats, or I won't upload it. I don't want to spend my limited time converting your story for you. I shouldn't need too. Oh, and use the BWL naming conventions. ( example: "storytitle_1.jpg", "storytitle_2.jpg", ect. )

Q: How can I convert BMP files to a different size? Or, how can I save the images to a different file type? What kind of programs are there that are easy to use?
A: I've included this question as a follow up to that last one. Use Paint Shop Pro, adobe Photoshop, a later version of Microsoft paint or Corel photo paint, animation shop or some other program! There are also plenty free programs to convert the images. Even Gimp would help. Go to http://www.google.com and search!

Q: You didn't respond to my last email, I'll just send you my story 20 times so I can make sure you received it.
A: This isn't really a question, I know. But people are crazy. This happens more often then you might think. We are all busy, and I myself have many projects to complete. If your picture, story, etc. is not uploaded, give it a few days. I will get around to it.

If you think that I'm taking too long, then visit the forums or send one email to ask about your story. And don't worry. If I decide not to post your story for some reason, I will let you know.

Q: Can I join your story-team? Plllleeeeeeaaaaaaassseee!!!
A: We don't have much of a "team". If you are asking about the Official Story Team, then you must prove yourself. Make and submit at least four good stories. Also, be active in the community. I need to see that you want to be an active part of the team.

Understand that membership guarantees nothing other then your story being listed in the team section of the story page. With time you'd get your name on the BWL Team page. Most importantly, I will choose moderators, etc. from active team members first. But all of these things are contingent upon your community activities.

Q: Why haven't there been any stories in a looong while?? I can't wait to read more stories!
A: Between real life issues and the various factors that affect this online community (5 major moves, as many crack attacks, personal feuds, etc) our production may be slow for a while. Never fear though, we will be making more content. Why don't you make something yourself and submit it? Without the fan-made stories, this site would have far less to offer.

Q: How do you rate the stories you make, and the stories made by other people?
A: Ratings operate on a scale of 1-5 stars. These ratings are based on feedback and reviews in the forums when the story is new, though I can exercise some executive privilege. The basic scoring principles are originality, graphical quality, and spelling/grammar. Also considered are plot and intentions.

Hosted Mods FAQ:
Q: I wanna map for your mod, let me join, pleaaaase!
A: We only get these type of volunteers from time to time. However, I wanted to address this specific issue. The GargArena mod is beta 1.0 and finished. FG and the gang decided that the concept had been taken as far as possible at the time of completion.

Cat-Life is under the leadership of BiGToM. Programmers are few and far between. If you want to see this mod completed, then let us know how you can help.

That said, do not expect me to give you assignments or anything. I am sitting in an administrative chair making speeches for big screens all over town. To help with Cat-Life, you should email BiGToM at
sayrken@hotmail.com or find him on MSN or ModDB. I would also add, do not simply expect to join the team. Send some sample work to prove that you have the "m4d 5k1775!!!" you would claim.

The Wildcat FAQ:
Q: What happened to FG (friendly garg)!
A: He stops in from time to time, mainly to post in the special Admins only forum. :twisted: Beyond that, the site stopped being his when I took over in July of 2006. I've long since changed its focus and the very nature of the site. If you're looking for the Garg-o-holics, you'll find some of us here. And our old HL stories are here too. But... You're at BWL Development now chump. :shades:

Q: Who are you?
A: *sigh* You should know me from the forums, main blog, my stories, steam group, ModDB profiles, etc. I'm adding this question because I already know someone will be asking it. For some reason, someone always does. Sad huh?

Most importantly, I'm in charge. So be nice to me and maybe I'll let you live.

Q: What is your favorite game/mod?
A: Half-Life. If nothing else, I love the storyline. I like the entire series, but the original HL has the most bountiful story for creativity.

Q: Are you going to make some stories?
A: I already have, but yes. I will be adding several different types of stories including hl2 image stories, hand drawn comics, and text fiction.

Q: What kind of person are you?
A: Truthfully, I'm one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I expect people to respect each other and take personal responsibility for their actions. I'm older then twenty-five and I own my own car. :P I do have a life outside of the internet and gaming, but I do spend a lot of time on the computer. I like "furries", but I don't much care for pr0n or yiff. I like comic books and manga but I'm more interested in creating my own materials.

I like to draw, write, play computer games, go out, hunt, fish, and swim/play sports. I am a University graduate with a degree in business, majoring in computer science. I work as a direct care aide at an MHMR facility on the night shift and I hate my job. :rollingeyes: I'd add more to this, but I don't think that will be necessary.

Q: What are you thinking right now?
A: The theme to the Lord of the Rings.
The Wildcat
BWL Overlord
BWL Overlord

Return to Resources